Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please.

A line from "Red October." A great line from Red October. So, continuing with my trip to Texas. Anyone who has ever been to Texas must know of What-A-Burger. Simple, but so good. Everytime I return to Texas to see my kids one of our stops is at a What-A-Burger before Papa gets out of town. It was looking like that wasn't going to happen this time as the week drew to an end.

The band in which Caleb plays has a trend now that when they play on Friday nights, the last thing on the way home is a stop at What-A-Burger since they have been on the go since 0630 that morning with no stops. As we walked over with Caleb to put away his instruments, and give him some money for the burger stop, I asked him if he'd mind just grabbing a burger and bringing it home to me. Then we wouldn't have to worry about a stop on Saturday, our last chance to visit What-A-Burger. He asked what kind I wanted, and so I told him just a burger, simple, single burger, with mustard.

We went on home to start a fire in the fire pit out on the patio, and after it was going, Tonya, Mikayla and I sat out there chatting and waiting for Caleb and his friends to show. Finally about a quarter to midnite they made it back and came out with the bags of goodies from What-A-Burger. They pulled out burgers and passed them around to each other, and at the end Caleb's friend pulled out a styrofoam box. "What's this? They never put anything in styrofoam!" Caleb replied, "That's the burger for my Papa." As we opened it, it was a single burger with a little side cup of mustard--a single burger pattie that is. No bun, no lettuce, no tomato, just a single pattie and a little cup of mustard.

Caleb, was mortified, and explained when he ordered it, the girl kept saying you want just a single burger, and he kept saying yes, "Give me a single burger, lady. One pattie only, please!" You gotta love the communications with wait staff sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment