Thursday, November 11, 2010

DWO

No, not DWI nor DUI -- DWO! 

Driving Deb to work this morning we passed through this one intersection, and again for the forty-eleventh time I shared with her a story from that intersection that occurred nearly six to eight months ago.  I said, "I ought to put that on my blog." and of course she said that I finally was beginning to understand the idea of a blog.  I often refrain, because I read hers and see how creative a writer she is, and realize I'll never get there.  However, I'm growing to understand that even without the creativity, some of the things we see and experience are still worth sharing.  So, bear with me, here goes!

One afternoon going to pick Deb up from work, East bound on one of the main streets in Boise, another gent in a truck and I were stopped at a red light.  As with most of the lights in Boise, before we get a green the oncoming left turning traffic gets the right of way.  Now Boise is infamous for the great numbers of drivers who run through on yellow, and all too frequently even blatantly continue through lights on red.  (Thus why we have so many accidents, but that's a blog for another day).

A couple of cars that had been waiting for the green left turn arrow made their turns, and as I looked up saw this old beater car coming toward us in the left turn lane.  He wasn't going all that fast, but it was one of those where experience tells you this driver was not going to stop, even if the light changed.  Sure enough, the light turned green for us, but the old beater with an equally "old beater" driver continued with no appearance of even slowing, let alone stopping.

As the gent in the truck next to me and I waited to see what the "olde feller" was going to do, he gracefully and with no expediency continued into the intersection, made the left turn and half-way through it "flipped us both off!"  As I turned with what I know was an incredible look and smile on my face, and looked at the gent in the truck, he was looking at me with this huge smile, and just shaking his head from side to side.

Sometimes you have to watch out for DWI's and other times you have to watch out for DWO's -- Driving While Olde!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment