Saturday, February 16, 2013

Traveling the Lenten Path - I

Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent.  Forty days to the Celebration of the risen Lord.  Forty days to improve my life and be better than I am right now.  Years ago Lent was about "giving something up."  Then somewhere around the mid to late sixties a Priest got the idea it's about being better, not just about sacrifice.  If we make a sacrifice that actually improves who we are then it's doubly beneficial.  So, I started trying to do something that required a little extra effort, but in the process helped someone else--more visits to old folks, taking communion to the home bound and sick, working on volunteer projects that benefited someone.

This year we are fortunate to have another new daughter-in-law.  She's positive, she's perky, she's always smiling, and she chose to be married to our youngest.  All good factors in a person.  She posted a blog before Lent that said she was going to focus on the four P's:  Prayer; Productivity; Personal and being Positive.  Our son added Physical into the gamut and so after stealing what I thought was a pretty "positive" idea, am trying to focus each day on one of the five P's.  Just keep in mind, plagiarism is one of the greatest forms of flattery.

Wednesday, 13 February -- Ash Wednesday I chose to start with Prayer because it seemed most appropriate given the season.  Now in my mind and beliefs, I've always felt prayer should be private as the Bible tells us.  Matthew 6:6 - "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."  To me prayer is a very personal event.  Therefore, I'll not tell you what my prayers were, but simply ask you believe I did pray.  I will also tell you part of those prayers have already been answered, so what a great way to start Lent. Remember, Faith is not believing God can, it's knowing that He will!  I have the benefit after so many years of seeing it happen.

Thursday, 14 February -- Productivity.  Since retiring there are days of productivity, but there are also days of just, flat 'goofing off' because I can.  God only gives us so many days on this earth.  I say somewhat tongue in cheek that I am going to live to be 107 years old.  I think it's mostly to irritate the kids, but then who knows, it's easier to live longer when you have a goal in mind.  My maternal grandfather lived to be 94, and my own dad lived to be 83, so who knows.  But, back to productivity.  I feel it is important one goofs off a little once in awhile because it's good for the spirit and well being.  But, even with that I know I can be more productive than I've been. And, productivity contributes to purpose.  It will add years by keeping me more alert, have a sense of accomplishment, feelings of contributing to the family, maybe even the community, and in some small way mankind.

Thursday I chose to work on our genealogy tree--something I hope to pass to the family.  This winter I'd gotten considerably behind.  There were nearly 1000 family members with documentation on their lives out there.  Some only had one document, others 15 to 20 or more. I managed to get the list down to 958 people.  Several were single documents, a couple in the teen to twenties, some as recently as the 1940 Census, some as far back as England and the 1600's.  I up loaded several photos (gravestones, pictures of documents, and old family photos).  When I finished, it felt really great. Maybe I'm weird, well not just maybe, I am weird.  However, when you find several documents, and you start comparing all the dates, and names, and events, and suddenly have solid proof it's the same individual it's like finding a gold nugget in that old slag pile, one the miners missed years and years ago.

In addition, I managed a phone call or two on some accounts coming due, and managed to work some savings (as big as $100 on one).  Sometimes all you have to do is take a few minutes, call, and ask for a discount or break.  I got a couple of the small household chores done, finished drying the darks and folding them and started the whites.  Made a salad for dinner to compliment the heart shaped pepperoni pizza Deb stopped and picked up.  Got my email box down from 47 to only three.  Got all the receipts for the motorcycle replacement parts filed, and read through the manual on installation of a couple of the parts.  Even managed to give Deb's cat Lola a few strokes.

Friday, 15 February -- Today is Physical.  Wasn't sure if it should be called Physical or Personal since it's both, but decided personal would be more emotional health, happiness and 'only' for me.  So, working on all the exercises the folks at the Idaho Spine and Sport gave me to do after the motorcycle accident, and those the doctor gave me to do after twisting my ankle this last week.  In the process of completing PT, I'm realizing I've been given an opportunity to increase my mobility that I never got after my hip surgery twenty years ago.  It's kind of like a new life, a refreshing new opportunity opening up things I'll be able to do and accomplish from a physical standpoint.

Of course that idea in and of itself gives my wife great concerns, but I've just got to pace myself and understand there are a few limitations for a 70 year old guy that weren't there fifty or fifty-five years ago.  I promise not to go back out on the roof again -- til next year when I'm in better shape and have better balance.

Saturday, 16 February -- Today is Positive Saturday.  It's also our son's birthday.  We are going to meet him and take him to dinner, and we've been blessed to be able to get a gift for him that we hope will have a very positive impact on his life. Matthew is a very creative person, and has had his eye on one of Deb's used cameras for awhile now.  It's time he had one of his own, and it only seems fair he gets a new one. He spends so much time out of doors our hope is this will offer him an opportunity to open up his creativity and record some the the beauty he sees on a daily basis.

So there is the first week of the kick-off to Lent.  Tomorrow -- Personal.  Need to think about that one just a little. I know there is a new bottle of old Scotch in the cupboard from our latest grandson's birth.  It's not supposed to be healthy to drink alone, but then how else do you make it personal.  I'll just keep it to one, one tall one!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment