Wednesday, March 12, 2014

On the Road when Winter is Ending

Kind of a funny thought really, since I try to ride year around, but when I no longer need long johns and a mask around the throat then I know Winter is in fact Ending and spring is just around the corner.  So up yesterday, jeans, shirt and vest, leather jacket, gloves and my HD pot helmet and was off to Birds of Prey.  Typical March morning with some good winds, but still entirely workable.

The benefit was at 1700 when I headed down to Costco to pickup Deb's contacts, the wind had died down and the temp was up to about 55F.  Debated tying the leather jacket to the bike, but didn't.  Got the contacts, headed home arriving just after 1800 with Matt coming over at 1815 so we could ride to an Idaho Gold Prospectors' Association (IGPA) Meeting down near the airport.  Temps were still around mid 50's and the wind had died down completely.

Turns out the incoming president of the IGPA was Matt's boss and had invited us as guests to come to a meeting. It lasted about an hour, they gave away a "ton of items" for gold prospecting and showed some nice nuggets and jewelry.  However, the thrust of the meeting was about the claim they have, maintaining it in a good shape, protecting the environment and planning ahead to ensure they also contribute to the community through things like a roadside cleanup this spring.

It was fun and reminded me of my first trip to the field after buying a metal/gold detector a few years back.  Gerry, our trainer told us the weekend would be spent concentrating on finding the smallest "nugget" possible -- a picker.  I think I must have taken first place as confirmed by the photo.  Yes, that was picked up on a sweep, and after much sifting, and gently blowing away dirt all that was left was the little bugger on the swirl of the finger print. The point -- if you can find those, anything bigger will seem like it's screaming at you.

So meeting over, we headed back home with a stop at the Black Bear Diner for a late dinner.  Matt and I had a great chat over dinner, separated a few blocks away as he headed West and I headed North for the house.  What a great night riding with two of my sons...

No comments:

Post a Comment