Saturday, May 3, 2014

On the Road to Summer

This week we hit 80F.  It's supposed to drop down again into the seventies and even high sixties for a few days, but we've passed through the gates of spring into summer. Road up to Birds of Prey on Friday and it was about 61F when I left the house in my jeans, short sleeved T and my vest.  Wearing the "pot" of course as the full face is a bit warm on the ride home when it's 80.

Funny, would never have dreamed of riding off in the winter at 61F dressed like that.  Guess it's the perception of warmth with the sun shining on you that makes it so tolerable.  I'm far beyond ready.

Of course you can tell it's still early.  The vehicle drivers have not transitioned to "more bikes on the road" and to be aware and watch for them.  So I'm very inspired to be 150%+ defensive in my driving still.  Not bad though, only two drivers tried to run me over/off the road--and that's with having replaced the lights with high intensity LED all the way around.  Still, with all that light, it's very difficult to see when your head is where the lights don't shine!  Hence, why I also replaced the stock horn with a small but very loud air horn.

So blasted the gent, and at the next light he stopped about three car lengths back from me for the red light.  Don't know whether he thought I was an evil biker who would damage his car if he got up too close to me or if he was possibly just a tiny little bit embarrassed by not looking.  While I'd love to believe the latter am going to put odds on the former.

Brighter lights, louder horn, louder pipes -- only thing left is being extra extra defensive.  That my friend is the saving grace.

Now to begin working on the biker tan!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment